Monday, April 25, 2005

This Paragraph Made Me Think

"Perhaps the hardest fought battle (in Poland, after WWII Nazism and during Soviet-bloc takeover) betwee Church and regime involved family life, for the communists understood that men and women secure in the love of their familes were a danger. Housing, work schedules, and school hours were all organized by the state to separate parents from their children as frequently as possible. Apartments were constructed to accommodate only small families, so that children would be regarded as a problem. Work was organized in four shifts and families were rarely together. The workday began at 6 or 7 a.m., so children had to be consigned to state-run child-care centers before school. The schools themselves were consolidated, and children were moved out of their local communities for schooling. A permissive law was passed that regarded abortion as a means of birth control."

--from Witness to Hope, by George Weigel

Me: This is very disturbing. Clearly, communism is not dead, just going under another name these days. Clearly, these activities are not "accidents" or intended for the "benefit" of the poor/needy/2-income/underprivileged, but for their control and subsumation. Clearly, while the frog (our culture) may slowly cook to death as the heat rises in the pot, there IS a cook turning up the heat.

4 comments:

Dy said...

AMEN! Sing it!! So eloquently put, and so frighteningly true. But spotting parallels and learning from history are not things that are valued today in the mainstream culture. The infiltration is already so very deep.
Dy

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Just joining Dy in a heartfelt AMEN! And I'll leave it at that rather than preaching to the choir in a lengthy rant. *sigh* I'll just say it stinks and I wish people weren't so blind. :(

Kim said...

What they said :-)

Anonymous said...

Ditto! to the above posts! What an incredible thing to think about today whilest I am at home loving my kidlets and hearing their imaginative play! Thank God that I live here and now, although I truly fear for our kiddos lives and their potential for lack of freedoms that we enjoy today.