Finally, here is what we learned about the Ring and where Tolkein got his ideas.
In Plato's Republic, two men are discussing whether it is better to be a just or an unjust man. (Nut of argument: it is virtuous to be just, but you get what you want if you are unjust.) A third way is introduced: that of being unjust but appearing just. This way is proposed using a myth that was popular at the time, which included a ring that if it were turned one way on your hand, you were visible; turned another way, you were invisible. So you could be visible when you were being just and invisible when you wanted to commit an injustice.
Isn't that interesting?
We found this out because we are reading the Lord of the Rings. My son asked me what the Ring symbolized, and I said, "Duh." Well, I said a lot more than that, but the essence was "duh". I didn't know. So I asked DadBob. He said, "Hmmmmm." (Rather Entish, don't you think?) But a couple of days later, he came home with a Gandalf hat, a long Gandalf-like pipe, and while blowing smoke rings, read to us from The Republic, and explained that the Ring is the symbol of unabated, unrestrained power. It was a wonderful discussion.
So I thought I would pass it along. I thought I would do so sooner, too...but the fact that I did not confirmed to me a decision I have made. This is the last blog post on WPMS. The big reward of WPMS for me has been the people I have met who have come by to leave a comment, and for that I am thankful. But I think I write better in a responsive situation, and that is not blog-land, or at least the way I am doing it. So, I will see you out there in blog-land, and I wish to all of you the joy of the journey! Fare Thee Well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Fare thee well WPMS! I certainly understand your decision.
On the ring, that is really quite interesting -- will have to forward to dh!
I, too, will be forwarding this to dh, thanks for posting it.
I will miss your witty posts, infrequent or not. Lucky for me, I have your phone number, so I won't miss you too much.
LB
I'll miss your blog, but applaud you for doing what's best for you and your family.
Hope to see you around in cyberspace.
Sandy
Ooh, I knew something was up when your site was missing from Kathy's page (her site is my "one stop shopping" for blogs :-)). I will miss your blog thoughts, but look forward to "seeing" you elsewhere....
Blessings,
Susan (in SoCal)
I will miss your wit here too!
I hope you WILL be visiting and leaving your pearls of wisdom (and your wit) on friend's blogs!
God bless!
(the ring info was VERY interesting!)
Wow, Patty, I am very sad. I have always loved your WTM posts and was so happy to have discovered your blog. I will miss reading your wisdom here.
Please don't be a stranger at our baby birds' nest. I'd like to keep conversing with you.
Much love and respect,
Mamabird (Karen in Atlanta)
Post a Comment