I've enjoyed reading on many blogs the wonderfully inventive Christmas traditions and experiences that are part of what makes each family unique. WARNING: This is not an exhilirating post--so if you've got enough troubles of your own, just let me say, "I'm sorry--and I hope your days get brighter!"
I wonder what our kid will remember most about his Christmases, growing up. We don't get up and tear into presents. We have one kid and a bunch of grownups. This year stood out for me primarily because it was the first year that BoyBob didn't write a letter to Santa. The main reason this bothers me is that the letters were always revelatory of something in his heart. One year, he asked if Santa would do all he could to make all the boys and girls in the world be good. The other reason it bothers me, though, is that Santa (DadBob) always answered the letters, and these, too, revealed something lovely in his heart. Sometimes the boys were funny, sometimes sweet, sometimes wishing for a better world. I'm sad that tradition went away. But I couldn't really *make* him write a letter, given his experience on Santa's lap this year!
It's also been a different holiday because my dad just can't get around. He's lame, at least for a time, and so that puts most of the things we used to do together--walks, shopping, errands--out of the picture. It also puts TV a lot more *in* the picture, and that's a big part of what I don't miss about my own childhood. So many times, I was told to "Be quiet until the commercial!" We've never had a TV in the living room primarily because I hated how much it was the Head of Our Family when I was growing up. Now, it is all my dad wants to do, and it's all my son can do with him. For the first couple of days, BoyBob couldn't get enough of it. But already, it is wearing thin, and last night BoyBob had a nightmare--the 5th in his life, ALL of which have been related to something on a TV commercial or a Disney movie. I think he has had enough, now, too.
And against all this little stuff, this personal and niggling stuff (OK, but it's MY stuff), is the devastation of the earthquake and tsunamis in Indonesia... Our sponsored child is for an area that was hit hard...I wonder about him often and pray for his family and the mission that was helping this part of the world get on its feet.
Not an upbeat post...but not every moment of life is upbeat, I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
No, not every moment is upbeat. I found that news pretty sad, too. I find it hard sometimes to see all we have and knowing that so many others are in dire straits.
Too bad about the Santa letter thing. Those moments when we get windows into the hearts of our children are precious and it's sad when we lose one of them.
Patty,
I appreciate your thoughts, upbeat or not. If I was in a mood for fantasy I would go read Tolkien, okay?
TV was always the background music in my childhood home. Now, our microscopic television plays an equally microscopic role in our home. I say, "TALK RIGHT THROUGH TO THE NEXT COMMERCIAL, and then let's read!" (-:
Diane
I call your reflections 'real bits'...
We all have them :o)
Real bits... I like that, Donna.
Patty, life comes in so many different textures and sensations. We would be one dimensional and terribly sad creatures if we didn't have (and share) the whole spectrum
I'm sorry your father is having such a rough time getting around. It's hard to stand by and see, even as an adult. {{hugs}}
The TV just about drove me straight over the edge while we were on vacation! I didn't realize just how MUCH TV people have- constant, loud, invading our days. ARGH. It added to my stress like you would not *believe*. I feel for you on that. Bet the quiet now is heavenly.
Dy
Post a Comment