Saturday, March 26, 2005

Reason #20,851 for However You Want to Reform Public Education

Math test prep booklets sent to New York City teachers were riddled with errors, reports the New York Post. Perhaps the most embarrassing error is on the cover of the booklet for the fourth grade -- make that the "forth grade." That's how educrats in the department's division of mathematics spelled it.

But they're mathematicians, not spelling-bee champs, right? So a mathematician would know that 15 + 10 = 25, right?

Apparently not.
-----------------------
This from the same state where a man who couldn't pass the teacher's test paid a mildly autistic homeless man $2 to take the test for him. The "substitute" passed, and got past the proctors, even though the chubby white man was substituting for a skinny black man. The thing that tipped off the testers? The improved score.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! That is funny!!!

Kim said...

Okay, I'm now feeling like a baaaad friend, because I didn't think you would be blogging until after Easter. Here it is after Easter, and you've been blogging. I feel like a big goober.

Glad to see you back.

Kim said...

Okay, I'm now feeling like a baaaad friend, because I didn't think you would be blogging until after Easter. Here it is after Easter, and you've been blogging. I feel like a big goober.

Glad to see you back.

Kim said...

Okay, I'm now feeling like a baaaad friend, because I didn't think you would be blogging until after Easter. Here it is after Easter, and you've been blogging. I feel like a big goober.

Glad to see you back.

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Well, you can be my baaaaad friend, but only if you will wear the black leather jacket Dy has prescribed, and say "Baaaaad" like a cool person would. My "return to blogging" was essentially a big cut/paste of a news story, so it was hardly worth sending out a notice. I'm glad you are back, though!

Dy said...

Oh dear! LOL! I'm glad Patty designated how "baaaaad" should be said, b/c I had this weird sheep voice in my head.

I've been reading Diane Ravitch's "The Language Police", and my first thought was, "hmm, well, maybe the correct spelling of 'fourth' was somehow insensitive to children who couldn't spell very well?"

Whew! I sure am glad we hs!
Dy