Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Whose Decision? Does the Punishment Fit the Crime?

A friend told me today that the private, expensive, classical, Christian school her children attend has the following policy for grades 8-12:

"Students who are excused from school by their parents for frivolous reasons will have a 10% reduction in their grades."

So the frivolous reasons of their parents make the kids stupider?
Or the school knows better than the parents what decisions are right for the family to make?

To tell you the truth, I *could* see this: "Parents who excuse their children from school for frivolous (non-illness or mission-trip) reasons will need to pay the teachers $25 per hour for time spent in catching the student up."

What think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I think that it is a little harsh. I mean how can a school decide whether or not something is of value to somebody else? KWIM? In other words, something that I may think important may not be what you think is important and on and on. So, how can they really decide on that one?

Oh well.

I am so glad that you are blogging...I love reading your opinions on things. Thanks a lot.

Dy said...

Hmmm. Well, looking back on some of my fondest memories of time with my parents, many of them were "unexcused absences" (or, in this case, "frivolous"). Sometimes we just needed to leave a day early and spend an extra day together as a family.

Sometimes there were emotional things broiling which were best comforted and addressed at home, with family.

Sometimes Mom looked at me and said, you're doing fine in school, want to drive up to Peach Springs and have ice cream by the creek?

Her laughter mixing with the gentle sound of the creek still makes me smile, twenty years later. Seeing the world through her beautiful green eyes, there, just she and I, while she could be happy, still makes me teary-eyed.

Such frivolity would have been worth a thousand F's. And to be honest, to heck with any school that deems itself mighty enough to over-rule the parent's authority.

Just my humble opinion, though. It's probably very good that we homeschool.
Dy

Patty in WA or Rover said...

I agree, Dy and JAS. It was *that overruling* that rankled me. And this from a Christian school.

I don't know that it would have been worth a thousand "F's" the way society treats grades at this tender age. But the truth is that I barely remember the classes I took, let alone the content, let alone the grade.

I told DadBob that since we have started homeschooling, I have started to live in a bigger box, and this kind of ruling just makes me (and here I couldn't find the word). His suggested word: FRISKY. Yup.