We just returned from a trip to California to learn more about the gold rush and more about some relatives and to have some fun. Part of what we looked forward to was meeting with the Famille Circle-of-Quiet, and as a side trip, to looking in on the childhood hometown of our pastor, to whom my son is drawn in an unusual way. I'll tell that story another time. For those who have only a few minutes, let me cut to the punch line here: The joke was on us. The POINT of the trip was to spend time with the Famille, the POINT of the trip was to meet the people in the hometown of our pastor. The Gold Rush, we'll read about. San Francisco will be there (or not) another day. But the welcome of the godly, the kinship, the shared journey toward the same Destination of friends across the miles was brought home to us in a very moving way through our visit with the Famille and with the small hometown church and the *still-present* members who greeted us as new friends based on their love for our pastor. DadBob said it best, that if all we ever do on our "field trips" is to meet people like this, our lives, and the understanding of life's meaning will be infinitely richer.
Maybe I will have to write more about this tomorrow, actually. I don't know who moved, me or the wall, but I seem to have hit it suddenly.
Night.
Monday, May 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm glad you're back. I missed you!
I'm glad you made it safe and sound. And I love that philosophy of travel. We should all do it like that!
Welcome back - you've been missed.
Dy
It sure made our lives richer to have you here. Can't wait to see you again.
(-: DI
Post a Comment