Saturday, May 28, 2005

"Classical Education" in a Sentence

I stole this from Diane Wheeler's article in The Old Schoolhouse magazine, in which she interviews Martin Cothran. It is a great one-sentence summary and a good reminder when I need inspiration.

A classical education is the cultivation of wisdom, virtue and taste through meditation on the True, the Good and the Beautiful.

Isn't that a great focusing statement?

5 comments:

Kim said...

I like this!! It would be neat to have this phrase done in calligraphy or something and then frame it.

Di said...

That is my husband's favorite quote of the year!

~Diane

hornblower said...

Oh it's a great quotation but I can't remember it! I keep coming back here to read it.

I want to be able to just rattle it off but instead I just end up humming and hawing in a very inarticulate way. Dithering brain disease is setting in here....

Patty in WA or Rover said...

I wrote it down and pasted it on the front page of my daytimer. It is a totally focusing comment for me, especially in the school front, but also in my personal decisions about how I spend my time.

Thanks for the comments!

Kim said...

Where are you these days? We miss you!