Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Lost and Found and Thanks and Advice to Self and Others

Two nights ago, my son woke up with a headache; we decided that he needs to start wearing his glasses some more--that this is a sign. Yesterday, I woke up late and we had to race to an appointment, and forgot to get the glasses out. I went to the naturopath to try to get a fresh approach re: my skin infections and hair loss. After the consultation, I went to pay and there was no wallet in my purse. Fortunately I know my Mastercard number by heart (too much shopping on the internet, I guess!), so I was able to pay.

Raced home, looked everywhere to no avail. Called pray-ers. Called the bank; no charges against either the debit or the credit cards. Waited all day. Looked again. Called all the places I had been (not many) since I had last seen the wallet (Friday). Nope.

Called the bank at 6; cancelled the debit card and the credit card. Ordered new ones; credit card will be here on Wednesday; debit in 10 days. DadBob gave me a bunch of cash to use for the next few days, and BoyBob scoured his room and brought me $4.00--all he had. (Isn't that sweet of both of them?)

Got up this morning, called the bank to confirm overnight delivery address. Looked up Department of Licensing addresses to get driver's license replaced. Remembered to get out glasses for BoyBob. Lifted up satchel where he keeps them, and WHAT did I find underneath it and behind the couch? Yup. Called/emailed pray-ers with great thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving continues with this: I'm so glad I listened to some advice I got a few years ago.

1. Minimize the number of credit cards and keep to one provider for as many things as you can. One call did it all. However, I think we should have one more credit card for backup. Two total. Maybe a Discover card or something with no fee and cash back. But not to carry--just to stick in the drawer--or to use online. That way, I don't lose both at the same time, and multiply the work of cancelling.

2. Compartmentalize. Don't carry a huge wallet that has everything in it. I have a "card wallet" for all those membership cards, homeschool discount cards, punch cards, and health insurance cards. It's separate. I didn't have to do a thing with any of those items. The checkbook is in a drawer; I just use it to pay bills. My wallet has cash, driver's license and the debit and credit cards. It can fit easily in a coat pocket--it's one of those taxi wallets--I really like it (but the next one I get will not be black--too hard to find.)

And here are the two pieces of advice I am giving myself:

1. Throw away the handbag the wallet was in. It's a straw bucket bag. It's OK if all that is in there is a wallet and a comb and a phone. But when it gets more than half full, and it bends in the middle and tips things out, it is a *bad bag*. It's gone and my good winter bag is back on active duty.

2. Find a place to *always* put the purse, with the keys to the car *in it*. If I had this, I would have *scoured* that area and found the wallet. But since my purse can be *anywhere*, that wasn't an option. This is just a new habit I need to develop.

Anyway, I am thankful for friends who really do pray when you need them to, and that I don't have to worry about identity theft, and that I don't have to get a new license and that the money is returned and I don't have to buy a new wallet.

Happy Ending!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great tips. I NEVER seem to know where my keys or purse are. And I liked the idea of keeping the less important cards in their own case.
So very glad you found it, and you know I never mind praying for you, as long as you don't mind my unconventional prayer methods. ;-)
LB

Anonymous said...

I put my keys on a carabiner on the outside of my purse. Works really well. They're always easy to find that way.

Glad that you found it! Always works out that way, doesn't it? Seems like it anyway! Prayer is amazing, isn't it?

I will heed your warnings.

Di said...

This kind of advice fits under my "losing my mind and need to get my act together" category. Somehow, fifteen years and five children ago, I could see the wallet slipping out of my purse. Now, it could land on my foot and I wouldn't notice. Too much going on in my head.

Thanks for the suggestions. Implementation is on its way.

~Di