Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Prepositions Memory List

Dry dry dry. But I wanted to put this "out there" as a couple of people have asked for it recently.

-----------------------------
BoyBob memorized prepositions in a day by putting them in alphabetical order, and then "chunking" them. The punctuation, lack thereof, and word-smashing below is intended to give you an idea of rhythm.

aboard about above,

across after against,

along among around at,

before, behind, below

beneath, beside, between,

beyond but by

dowwwwwwwwwn, during

exceptforfrom

ininsideinto

like, near, of, off, on, out, outside, over

past since through throughout to toward under underneath

until upupon

with, within, without

The fun begins when he tries to better his BEST time. About 12 seconds is the record to date.


The forms of be and helping verbs also have been very helpful to have under his belt.

be being been
isamarewaswere
hashavehad
dodoesdid
shallwillshouldwouldmaymightmustcancould.

I learned these in 7th grade and have always been so glad for Mr. Janda's insistence that I do so. I think BoyBob's time is about 4 seconds for those. We use these *all* the time.

Hope this helps. And really, it didn't take us a week of about 10 minutes a day to have this cold with the record times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never learned these as prepositions:
aboard (where did that come from?),
but, outside, past,underneath. Where did all these extras come from!

**THE LIST** is different from the one I memorized in sixth grade (this is never supposed to change!) LOL!

My teacher taught us my climbing above her desk and doing silly demonstrations of the prepositions. Needless to say, I still know them all of these years and there are plenty of them!

Dy said...

I've got a much better grasp of these things since teaching James - but he still knows them better than I do.

Someone also suggested learning them to the tune of Yankee Doodle Dandy. I can't pull that one off, but then, singing isn't exactly a "gift" of mine, either. :-)

Dy