Thursday, January 27, 2005

Housekeeping and a couple of notes

I'll either be "out" or a "nervous wreck getting ready to be out" for a week, so there is your warning.

Soup update: I made my beautiful soup again today (this is what I did with my time instead of looking at TWTM boards) and it was wonderful! I tried it with cream and without and both ways are great. I think the stick blender doesn't frappe the tar out of it enough so I will have to use the food processor (re: incredible amount of washing up to do for such a simple task) next time. Cannon Beach will hear moans of ecstacy from our cabin by the time I perfect this recipe. How RUDE!

I had "the talk" with my son yesterday in the car. Four notes:
1. My pastor says that most of the good talks you have with your kid will happen in the car because they don't have to look you in the eye and they know the talk is not interminable--you will get where you are going. I don't think he anticipated the question BoyBob asked full volume just as we drove up to the Burger King microphone, but hey, 2 out of three isn't bad.

2. My husband says he doesn't know what all the fuss is about. HE had "the talk" with the kid when the boy was 6 months old, and the kid took it like a man.

3. "The talk" went really well...the thing that was most interesting to me was this. When I asked him if he knew what s/x *was* he said, "It's a close physical hug that God gave to married people so they could show that they love each other." That meant the world to me. It means that there has been a lot of *great* communication all along the way. He was somewhat shocked to find out that animals don't get married (they mate) and that you can get a baby when you aren't married, but other than that, he was pretty on board.

4. The question arose because of the inescapable invasiveness of popular culture. He was waiting for me during a doctor's appointment and the TIME magazine headline was "A New Drug: Makes Women Want S/x"--or some such thing--and that was what spurred the conversation. It makes my point that if the entire purpose of homeschooling is to escape the culture, it will be a failure. Period. Popular culture is pervasive, no matter how hard you work at it. It's better to give the kids the tools to deal with it than to waste your time--and their future--at attempts to escape it.

If I get around to it, I'll have even more on this last point, in a labyrinthine way.

Have a great week, everyone.

2 comments:

Kim said...

My 10 year old recently asked similar questions because of an add for contraceptives. When your kid comes to you with the question "What's a condom" it certainly makes you take notice. Hubby had a little chat with him later, but I don't know the full extent of it.

Dy said...

James picked up a Men's Fitness magazine at the barber shop last week. Then I spied an article titled: How to Make Her Want to Take Her Clothes Off. ACK!!

I may be speaking wholly out of my rear here, but I don't think the desire is to escape popular culture entirely (tempting as that may be at times), but to keep it in the peripheral realm of influence, rather than as the main focus.

On a sad note to popular culture, we have two beautiful, brilliant nieces. Both have done Science Olympiad for years and have always gone to regional, if not national. This year, Niece The Older is in 9th grade. Nobody else in her class is doing Science Olympiad. Her father was crestfallen when she told him that she would not be doing a project this year because, "it would be social suicide, Dad!" It didn't matter that at the state level there would be other 9th graders and above. What mattered to her is that she'd be linked to 7th graders at her shcool. So, her class of 45 peers has prevented her from doing something she's wonderful at- something which she could use for college admissions- something she's enjoyed for years. *sigh* And MIL thinks that it's "just part of growing up" and we're deluding ourselves by thinking we might be able to avoid this w/ the boys. No, they'll run into it. It just won't be their sole source of identity then, and they will (we hope and pray) be aware of the bigger picture.

Ok, done ranting (Zorak made me promise not to blog this, so I guess I stole your blog! LOL! Sorry.)

Dy