Sunday, January 23, 2005

I Am Not A Cook, But....

I may be on to something. So, I am going to make a chuck roast in my new crock pot that DadBob gave me for Christmas because we have been married for 23 years and he has never given me an appliance but that is what I wanted, so he got it for me.

Tonight, I sauteed onions and garlic in olive oil, and put them in the bottom of the pot. Then I browned the roast in the olive oil (I had to add some). I mean really browned it--it's going to be tasty. Then I ***deglazed the pan*** with white wine and this really rich brown sauce came out. I put the meat on top of the onions, and the deglaze on top of the meat and put it in the refrigerator.

Then, and this is where you will run, not walk, directly to the nearest airline and get a flight to my house, I minced 2 shallots and 5 mushrooms and sauteed them in butter. After a few minutes, I added a white wine and a juice-box of beef stock and reduced it for half an hour. Then I came close to eating it all straight from the pan, but did not. I blended it all so it is smooth. It's in the fridge, by the meat/onion thingy.

Tomorrow it will cook all day, the meat and onions with this sauce on it. I'll add carrots and potatoes at the perfect time (I hope) and then add some demiglace we got from Williams Sonoma for Christmas and...dinner's at 6.

My mouth is watering...but you know what? Writing this post is as strange to me as if I were writing about my latest attempt on Mount Everest...or exotic dancing...or, well, you get the idea.

I hope I don't walk in my sleep and eat that mushroom/shallot/butter thing in the middle of the night without even knowing what I am doing.

P.S.: I made up this whole recipe. Isn't that even weirder? Has the Stepford Wife bug been going around?

5 comments:

Di said...

I don't think it would be a problem for me to get there by six. Set a place for me. But, email if you ate it all in the night.

I'm impressed (-:
Diane

Dy said...

LOL! This is so cool! I'm glad you are enjoying your project of finding tasty, nutritious food for the wonderful family. I know the meals I truly enjoyed making were the ones they truly enjoyed eating.

Just, um, warm the mushroom/shallot/butter thing before you eat it, ok? *picturing cold butter w/ food bits suspended in it*

ENJOY!
Dy

Kim said...

Sounds delicious! I'll be over as soon as my sons are busy making me one of those transporter gizmos from Star Trek.

J-Lynn said...

OH my, that sounds delectable!!!! WOW - I will have to try it!

Hugs, I've missed you!

Dy said...

SOOOOO? How was it? Don't leave us hanging like that!!