Soup, soup, beautiful soup,
Soup of the evening, beautiful soup!
---The Mock Turtle,
Alice in Wonderland
The roast was fabulous. I didn't cook it the way I said I was going to--and we made a wonderful discovery. That shallot and mushroom thingy? Well, it tasted wonderful as a sauce on the meat and on smashed potatoes, but the more we ate of it, the more we thought it was the start of a good soup.
Now, drumroll, please: DadBob gave me a wonderful compliment. We had a soup, 5 years ago, at the family reunion celebrating his parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary. We took the whole fam damily to a top drawer restaurant, seating for 50 in an evening. The chef made a soup of Wallawalla onions--Wallawallas are very sweet onions--and if that was all we had to eat that night, it would have been worth the price. Of course, it was not--there were mussels (which the East Coasters sniffed at so I ate theirs--four portions for me) and fabulous salad and main course--but that soup has lived in my memory as a culinary highlight. WELL. DadBob compared my shallot/mushroom thing *favorably* to that onion soup. A moment I won't soon forget.
Maybe I will make this for the Cannon Beach thingy this summer. We will have a One Thingy Dingy buffet--unless Mindy brings the brie. Then we will have Two Thingy Dingys at the Thingy. I'm getting dingy here.
Wednesday, January 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Mmmmmm, that sounds delicious, too. I must admit, I'm a die-hard soup lover.
Count on me for wine and chocolate.
The soup sounds DANDY.
Diane
Post a Comment