The One Year Book of Devotions for Boys. BEST-SELLER from Tyndale Press. List Price: $12.99; ISBN: 0-8423-6014-X.
This book was a gift; I did not pre-read. I assumed that since it carried a label a being appropriate for 8-12 year old boys, and was from a Christian publisher...
Well, thanks to this book, I have had to answer questions about abortion, por**graph* (as in, "What is ____?") before--LONG before--we have had the opportunity or need to lay the appropriate groundwork. BoyBob STILL does not know (really) how babies are made and all that...but I'm answering THESE questions? The kid didn't know how to turn on the TV til he was 7, for crying out loud, and still doesn't use the computer for more than typing practice and one site, BrainPop.
In looking over the back of the book, there were no reliable clues. Looking on the website, I see these "heads up" remarks: "Contemporary kids facing contemporary issues." We aren't that and don't do that.
Anybody else run across this? I looked on Tyndale's site for a place to lodge my comments, but didn't find any, so I will lodge them here and give you all a heads up.
Monday, February 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
EEK- thanks for the heads up- I am okay with the whole bodily functions talks, since the boys approach them with the sensuality of a mortician at a lecture, but wow- contemporary kids, huh? Sad. I know the time will come to discuss these things, but... wow.
Dy
I know what you mean...I actually believe that innocence is a great guard in many many ways, and I resent having this wrested from my kid by a *devotional*. He sees it on the cover of Time magazine, that's one thing. But he is *9*. KWIM?
Post a Comment