Sunday, February 20, 2005

A Sad/Angry Post--Skip It If You Wish

Last week was hard with the stolen DayTimer. The thing that makes me mad is the damage done through no fault of mine, and the taking of something that did not belong to the taker. But there was a much sadder thing that happened along these lines this week. The story line is the same, but the depth difference is profound. A friend's friend lost her teenage son to despair, and he took what did not belong to him--he took his life. The damage done to people who had done all they could to be good and kind--his friends, his family, his church--is profound. I can't get this out of my head--and I do not even know the family, nor do I ever expect to meet them. But the fact is, once you have a kid; once you have a friend; once you know what it is to love another, you cannot respond in any shallow way to this kind of news. I'm so sorry for this family who have had so much lost in this one act...they've lost their son and their grandchildren, and a certain kind of innocence that will be healed at the feet of Jesus. But in this life, it will always be with them. He took what did not belong to him. It belonged to God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tears you apart, doesn't it? To think that this kid felt that kind of despair as to take his own life. It is indicative of the society we live in -- me, me, me. I'm soooo sorry, MomBob and I feel the mom's anger that she will at some point have after the grief. I just can't imagine!! My heart is torn for them also.

I'm not good at words and I'm so sorry! :-(

Dy said...

{{hugs}}
Dy

Di said...

Sigh,
There was a homeschooled boy in our community that took his own life last week. They are a family with no faith, and I feel sort of claustrophobic when I try to imagine how they are feeling right now. What an incredibly difficult thing to deal with. You are right -- caring for people means opening ourselves up for pain and confusion and fear. It beats the alternative, though, in my opinion.

Sorry it is hard. Hugs to you.
Diane