Saturday, February 26, 2005

Movies I Can't Not Watch

What is it about these movies that makes it impossible to walk away?

Patton
The Godfather
The Godfather, Part 2

We are watching Patton right now. A good plan for me would be to stay away from channel clicking. The good news is that ironing almost all the clothes I have to iron takes less than 2 hours.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Never seen "Patton" but I know what you mean abou the other two.

Have you ever seen the third Godfather movie?

Patty in WA or Rover said...

I have seen it, but it was AWFUL to sit through. I made myself watch it to com plete the story. It was just too far off of the character--basically, Michael just turns into a serial killer, and is no longer human in any way. Diane Keaton's character stops short of full development, as well.

I think these movies are compelling in some way because they are about people who are focused on what they want, regardless of what gets in the way. With Patton, it is a combat between his desire for fame and his desire to do what he sees is right; with the Godfather, it is a matter of flawed moral development. He starts by doing a "good thing" for his people, but he plays into the world of darkness to do so, and in the end, it consumes his family. He himself is never quite consumed by it, but it is the end of his progeny, which, had he known it, would have killed him.

Randi said...

Too bad to see you quit blogging! I enjoy your blog and I check in on most days.

For me, I actually enjoy the fact that I don't have to specialize or have a particular theme because my mind wanders too much and my interest is somewhere new each day, so for me, this works.

I hope you decide to continue!