Yesterday, Ash Wednesday, the headlines in three of the four daily papers I scan had this headline: Pope to Skip Ash Wednesday Services. The fourth had it thus: Pope to Miss Ash Wednesday Prayers. Those first three really got my goat. A correct headline would be this: MomBob to Skip Ash Wednesday Services (subhead: Claims She Intended to Go). The Pope is *ill*. He would be there if he could. He's not "skipping". And I'll bet he missed them.
I'm not even Roman Catholic, but I think this man is living out in his life the words that have come from his mouth. He is showing us the value of life even as his is waning...not becoming less valuable, but more valuable for the compassion he continues to show even in the midst of his own suffering.
Peggy Noonan has a piece today in the Wall Street Journal's OpinionJournal.com. She sees him not so much "in decline" as "encased" in a body that doesn't serve his spirit as well as it once did. That was a good distinction. If this topic is of interest to you, her article is worth reading.
I hope that my Roman Catholic friends know how much and often your non-Catholic brothers and sisters are standing with you in prayer for this beloved and inspiring man. He is a blessing to all of us.
Thursday, February 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment